Posted by Rick Civelli | 02.07.2011 | Employment, WB Surf Camp News
WB Surf Camp Instructor of the Week for February 6th: Rob Kieber
Rob Kieber joined the WB Surf Camp Team in the summer of 2010 as the Ultimate Guppy Camp Counselor! Rob did an incredible job taking care of the guppies while making sure they had the best time ever during their week of camp. Rob’s experience working with children in a marine science summer camp environment coupled with his love of teaching and surfing made him the perfect candidate for a position with Guppy Camp. Rob is currently attending UNC Chapel Hill where he is working towards a career as a Chemical Oceanography Professor. His travels have taken him all over the world: Australia, Belgium, Brazil, Canada, Czech Republic, England, Germany, New Zealand….the list goes on and on! Rob is not only a talented, skilled surfer, but a kind person who connects with people of all ages and backgrounds. We are super stoked that he’s joining us for another amazing summer as 2011 Assistant Director of Guppy Camp!
1. What drew you to a position at WB Surf Camp? I love the ocean/beach, love surfing, and WB Surf Camp looked like a compant that is a lot of fun to work for.
2. Who is your favorite surfer and why? Rob Machado because he doesn’t get caught up in the hype of surfing competitively.
3. When did you start surfing and where? I first started when I was 12 here at Wrightsville at the Oceanic Pier, and I’ve been hooked ever since.
4. What is your favorite surf break? Wherever there is a wave, but Topsail is a good place if I had to choose.
5. What inspired you to start surfing? It just looked like a lot of fun, plus I love being in and around the ocean.
6. Where was your most memorable session? A swell from Hurricane Bill the fall before last. Me and my friend timed the storm just right and got out just after it passed further north. Surfed for about three hours, the nicest waves I have surfed in WB. We had it all to ourselves for about 30 minutes and had a lot of fun in a 6ish foot swell with clean hollow lines.
7. What is the worst wipeout you’ve ever had? Took off on a head high choppy set, tried to get a high line but got hit by the lip then got flipped and slammed.
8. What are some of your interests outside of surfing? All sports, skating (longboarding)
9. What is your favorite movie? Old School
10. What is your favorite music? Rap, Alternative, Rock, mostly anything other than country
11. What is your favorite food? Pizza!
12. Where do you see yourself in five years? Probably grad school
13. In your eyes, the three things you value most are: Family, friends, and waves:)