Posted by Rick Civelli | 03.02.2010 | WB Surf Camp News
Surf Camp Instructor of the Week, Feb 28 – Mar 6: Vanessa Bezy
Vanessa is entering her fourth season with WB Surf Camp, and in these four years she has held positions as a Camp Counselor and Surf Instructor in our teen summer surf camps as well as Guppy Camp Assistant Director in our kids summer camps. Vanessa has shown us how dedicated she is to Surf Camp’s mission of changing people’s lives through surfing and instilling a passion and desire to protect our oceans and all they offer, not only in her positions with WB Surf Camp but in her role as President of the UNCW Chapter of the Surfrider Foundation. She will be graduating from UNCW this spring with a degree in marine biology, and we know that wherever life’s path leads her, Vanessa will do amazing things!
1. What drew you to a position at Surf Camp? I loved my experience as a camper with Surf Camp and I love the way that Surf Camp incorporates environmental education and marine conservation into the experience. When I realized I could get paid to do what I love and share it with others, I just couldn’t pass it up!
2. Who is your favorite surfer and why? Donavon Frankenreiter. I love his style, his attitude, and his music too.
3. When did you start surfing and where? I went to Surf Camp at Wrightsville Beach in the summer of 2003 and I have been surfing ever since!
4. What is your favorite surf break? Playa Hermosa, Costa Rica. Beautiful waves and wonderful people, Pura Vida!
5. What inspired you to start surfing? I’m always in the water and I love the ocean, it just seemed natural to take the next step and learn how to surf!
6. Where was your most memorable session? Surfing at Pools Beach in Puerto Rico last December. It was a beautiful sunrise, me and my boyfriend were the only ones out, you could see the beautiful reef below us, sea turtles popping up for a breath, and perfect chest high glassy waves. A perfect, beautiful moment I will never forget!
7. What is the worst wipeout you’ve ever had? At Playa Hermosa, the currents were ridiculous and I was definitely in over my head (literally)…bad wipe out that held me under for a whole set, so I paddled in to watch from the beach 🙂
8. What are some of your interests outside of surfing? I love being outdoors, kayaking, swimming, yoga, traveling and discovering new things.
9. What is your favorite movie? Finding Nemo. I’ve seen it in English, French, and Spanish and I know almost every line!
10. What is your favorite music? I like all kinds of music but I like Reggae music the most because it reminds me of the beach and it will warm me up even on the coldest winter days.
11. What is your favorite food? Thai food. I love the spices, the veggies, and the tofu!
12. Where do you see yourself in five years? Can’t say really, I like to go wherever life takes me. Hopefully somewhere near the coast, working with the ocean in some way whether its through education or research!
13. In your eyes, the three things you value most are: Family and friends, sunshine, and the inner peace and free time to enjoy life!
To read more about Vanessa Click Here